This post may contain affiliate links
Marrakesh was such a surprise. I did not know what to expect but I was pleased that I visited. There is certainly more in Morocco that I hope to visit in the future. A return trip is in my future. These are a few tips for visiting Marrakesh.
- Before you leave the airport, change your money and take cash. We changed for Dirhams with no charge, and this was a good idea as we never saw an ATM during our visit. And as the Dirham is a closed currency you can not change it back.
- Pick a riad close to a main attraction, that way you know what to look for when finding your way back. Research and make sure its peaceful and quiet. I recommend Rial Al Rimal – five mins from both Jemaa el-Fnaa square and La Koutoubia mosque.
- When buying anything in the markets – always haggle. And straight away half what they are wanting !
- For a sunset view over Jemaa el-Fnaa square – visit Le Grand Balcon Du Cafe Glacier – go up about 30 mins before sunset. You have to buy something to drink or eat to be on the balciny. We paid 40 dirhams and it was well worth it for the view.
- Leaving – always get there two hours before, even if you have checked in online, you still have to get a stamp on your paperwork before you are allowed through to departure. Morocco airport procedures seem to take forever, everything is so slow. It took us over one and half hours to get through to the departure gates.